Friday, October 23, 2009

One Generation at a Time

But suppose this son has a son who sees all the sins his father commits, and though he sees them, he does not do such things…He will not die for his father’s sin; he will surely live. 

– Ezekiel 18:14,17b

Ezekiel spends chapter 18 putting to rest a misunderstanding the people had about original sin (the idea that Adam’s sin is passed from one generation to the next). The people supposed that because a father was caught up in a particular sin, that sin and its consequences were passed from him to his sons (and daughters).

Now, we know there’s nothing genetic about sin. Sure, we live in a fallen world and share in Adam’s sinful nature, but we don’t inherit anger or pride from our fathers the same way we inherit their eye color or stunning good looks. Growing up watching our fathers’ habitual sins can wear off on us, however, the same way their accent or disdain for the Cleveland Browns do (go Steelers!). However, we can put an end to the passing down of our father’s sin simply by turning away from it. Just stop. Draw a line in the sand and say, “Starting with me, there will be no more <sin of choice> in my house.” Not only are you repenting of your own sin, but you are increasing the chance your progeny will not continue in this sin because they will not witness you committing it.

What bad habits or sinful tendencies did you “inherit” from your parents or those around you? Draw your line in the sand and declare today that it ends with you.

Lord, thank you for loving me and covering over my sins. Father, help me identify the sin in my life that I picked up from watching others. Give me the strength to repent from it so that future generations and those I meet from now on will not inherit this sin from me. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home